On Sunday morning we brewed at my place for only the second time. The first brewing session at the beginning of the year ended with a Black Wheat beer and a broken sink. This was a two phase day: bottling the Kellerwies clone and brewing a new beer for Steph.
The new beer, currently dubbed Snoopyberry Wheat, was originally planned to be an American wheat ale with Boysenberries. We could not find the berries and we used a Bavarian yeast so it’s now a Bavarian Heffeweisen with Blackberries and Raspberries. Interesting notes for this recipe, this is our first time using Honey Malt (less than 5% of grain bill).
The brewing session went extremely smooth, we were expecting the worst (since last time around the sink fell out of the counter) and hoping for the best – we ended up with a quick, smooth brewing session and that’s pretty much what we got. The biggest issue was missing our target Original Gravity, which resulted from us pouring too little wheat malt extract into the boil kettle. We were aiming to pull 3 lbs from a 6.6 lb tub, but probably got closer to 2.85 lbs. Our treatment of the fruit addition was slightly unconventional, instead of pureeing whole fruit we kept it in tact and tossed it in after the boil was complete and let it sit (pasteurize) for 5 minutes prior to cooling. Hopefully, this will make for a more subtle fruit flavor/aroma. We managed to fit in bottling the Kellerweis during the down times when we were mashing grains and boiling Snoopyberry wort.
The most exciting part of the day was using the Kellerwies yeast cake as a super starter for this beer. We racked the Kelllerwies into a bottling carboy and poured the Snoopyberry wort in right on top of the fresh yeast cake. So far, fermentation has been quick and violent – 100 bubbles per min only 2 hours after pitching.
Thanks for the update John! One interesting side-note – we used the spent berries for toast and it was great. Next time we’ll have to make a Mixed-Berry Beer Pie!